Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Memorize Ephesians With Me - (A) Method




One of the questions I most often get from people is "How do you memorize?" This is actually a hard question for me to answer, because I don't really have (A) way to memorize scripture, instead I have about 5-10 ways that I explore when memorizing.

For those of you who are familiar with the popular P90X the physical fitness program, you will know that one of the advantages of this program is that it offers you a variety of exercises from muscle toning, cardio, yoga, wth generouse doses of abdominal work. "Muscle confusion" is what they tout as a real advantage of their program. The idea being that if you stay with one set form of workout, soon your muscles will plateau, and you will begin to see deminished results. BUT if you mix your workout up, your muscles will remain sufficiently confused, allowing you to experience greater gains.

In a similar way, mixing up my approach to meditation and memorization I have found to be helpful. The fact that I get board easily is also a big factor.

That said, I do want to offer you a few approaches and try to model them. In this weeks video, I demonstrate (a) method that is espoused by Pastor John Piper. I have tried similar things before, but never as strictlly as Piper describes. For the sake of demonstration, I've towed the line closely, and have spent the last couple of days really trying to adhear to this approach.

So here it is: Read the passage (a select few versus, in my case no more than three at a time) out loud, ten times, (Each time I make a hash mark on paper, to make sure that I am completing this sequence.) then I close the Bible and try to recite as much of the 1-3 versus that I can from memory. Then I continue to go over it from memory, looking back to the passage as needed.

I do this for ten minutes. The following day, I'll spend ten minutes with another 1-3 versus, and try to include the previous days 1-3 versus. Soon you will find that you are going more than ten minutes, but most of that time will be actuall reciting versus that you already know by heart. You will find this encouraging, and you will also find yourself becoming far more efficient in the way you are remembering things. Give it a try and tell me what you think!

Also, still waiting for some video clips of you guys offering a passage in Ephesians. I recieved one video thus far, and am still hoping for more. It doesn't have to be a long portion, it can be; one, two three versus, however many you want. Nothing is too small. Take a momement and documet it via video and send it my way!

Great fun being with you on this, I do appreciate the emails and comments.
I pray you have a remarkable day, with much joy!

Wonder!

Hunter

1 comment:

  1. Certain verses are easier to memorize than others;when I get 'stuck' on a verse I handwrite it out sometimes several times then I write it on an index card and carry it with me.

    ReplyDelete